package making

Greets all,

I'm working on packaging E + Gnome for slackware 4.0.  One thing I've
noticed though is that for each package I make the size of the .tgz
(which is tarred & gziped using slackware's package manager) is
considerably larger than the rpm of the same thing.  For instance, imlib
1.9.4 via i386.rpm is 176K.  My imlib-1.9.4.tgz package weighed at a
whopping 749K.  I'm not quite sure why this is happening unless rpm uses
a super compression scheme approx 5x better than tar & gzip.  I've
configured to disable shared libraries.  I took a look at the rpm and it
seemed to have the same libimlib-(format).so libraries, the only
difference for mine was that I included the headers since most slack
users will be compiling stuff.  I've included a list of what files are
contained within the package.  If anyone can make suggestions or affirm
that the package may be that big let me know.  Thanks
-Brian

PACKAGE NAME:     imlib-1.9.4
COMPRESSED PACKAGE SIZE:     732 K
UNCOMPRESSED PACKAGE SIZE:     1890 K