Re: Why does Gnome keep freezing?? Help!!

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Devin Butterfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm very new to gnome...infact I just installed it last night. The
> problem I'm having is that every time I right click somewhere on the
> desktop (with the file manager running), I get the little menu, and
> after leaving that menu gnome will freeze up!! Actually it's more like
> 95% of the time that this happens.

I can't recreate that problem on my system.  What window manager are you
using?  Does the problem persist if you use a different window manager?
This certainly sounds like a bug, check out
  http://bugs.gnome.org/Reporting.html for info on how to report one.

> Then, if I click the "x" in the upper right hand corner of the file
> manager window (to close it), it will often disappear, and then suddenly
> re-appear, and leave a bomb (core dump) in my directory!!

GMC (the file manager) is a special program, it handles both file
management and desktop management.  The "x" in the upper right-hand corner
probably tries to kill GMC, which is not something you want to do.  It
reappears because gnome-session knows you need it, so when GMC dies, it
restarts it.

To make the window go away, just select File->Close.  Your desktop will
remain, nothing will core dump (hopefully), and it won't reappear
suddenly.  If you absolutely must get rid of the process, you can go to
the Commands menu.

> Why is gnome running so crappy for me?
>
> I installed gnome from the rpms on the website (and yes, I closely
> followed directions). I'm running Linux-Mandrake 5.3. Yeah, I could use
> kde...it is very stable, but I would prefere gnome if I can ever get it
> to run for more than 15 min!!
>
> Please help!!

I hope I have been of service.

Best of Luck,