RE: "proprietary" vs. polluting (was Re: propriatary question)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Gleef wrote:
> > No, none of these are *really* satisfactory. What Gnome should do is
> > to actively look at the /usr/share stuff for KDE and all other
> > possibilities and prompt the user if it sees something new has been
> > installed there at next startup (or a explicit reload command).
>
> That's one of the things I was suggesting in the first option.  The
> desktop can worry about it.  Currently, GNOME doesn't do this, but it can.
> I might start working on something to do this, if nobody does it first.
[...]
> Keep in mind that I was arguing against the point raised that we should
> keep all our .desktop files in "/usr/share/apps".

Oh, sorry, I just misunderstood your argument.

I agree entirely then that having gnome have itse separate hierarchy is
fine, as long as it looks for others as well.

By the way, how does one make a window that resizes itself at will but
doesn't get larger than screen size (i.e. the way ghostview does), I tried
to make ggv do that but I didn't get it to work properly.

	Tuomas