RE: "proprietary" vs. polluting (was Re: propriatary question)

well, if you want to make shure that the gnome name space is seperate for
others you just use
/opt/gnome as your prefix, thus making
/opt/gnome/share/apps

if you want to use /usr, you get
/usr/share/apps

so that allows for the user to choose whether there is a common set of
desktops.

using prefix/share/gnome/apps
for /usr it becomes
/usr/share/gnome/apps thus not allowing for shareing

and

for /opt/gnome you get
/opt/gnome/share/gnome/apps

so puting it in prefix/share/gnome/apps dosnt allow the user to choose
between shared and nonshared