Re: mc ongoing bug

On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 01:32:09AM +0100, Mike McEwan wrote:
> Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Max Karpiak <mxk@purdue.edu> writes:
> >
> > > This was submitted to the bugserver but that's down.. I'm having this
> > > ongoing problem with gmc, it's been there forever, and doesn't seem to
> > > have been fixed in 4.5.28.. If I've got a gmc window displaying files in
> > > any of the list modes, and I right click on a file to bring up the popup
> > > menu and then somehow make the menu go away (pick delete, view, etc),
> > > the list then grabs the mouse, and won't let go 'til i select a file. I
> > > can't click on the directory list, any of the menus, etc, until I select
> > > a file in the list.. This is REALLY annoying, and it's been there
> > > forever.
> > >
> > > gmc 4.5.28, gnome-libs 1.0.4, gtk 1.2.1.. PLEASE fix this.
> >
> >   I'll second you here, this has been there for quite a while :-).
> > I'm currently on the latest CVS source taken earlier today. I have
> > been continuously upgrading and compiling in the vain hope that it would
> > go away - you're right, it *is* annoying. Just by accident though, I
> > discovered that the problem is not happening for me if the file listing
> > panel is in `icon' mode. I wonder if this has any bearing???
> >

>   Well, this is *still* there at 4.5.29. Is this something only a few
> of us are experiencing?

I experienced this today for the first time. I decided to make a backtrace,
so recompiled gmc with options -g -O2. Now the bug was gone. My compiler
is pgcc-1.1.1 and by default I compile with -O6. What compiler and
compilation flags are you using?

I'm not saying that it must be a compiler bug. It might be a subtle bug
in gmc that's only triggered by some compilers (for example an uninitialized
variable, whose initial value will depend on the compiler used).

If you want this fixed, you should definitely try to provide the
developers with a stacktrace of the coredump.

Ronald