Let desktop icons snap to a grid

When I worked with KDE yesterday, idly diddling with some desktop
icons, I noticed that kfm (or krootwm or whatever handles them) lets
desktop icons snap to an invisible grid. This makes for a very clean
look - when you've got a couple of icons, any way you arrange them,
they are always neatly aligned.

GMC doesn't do this as far as I can tell - you can move icons pixel by
pixel. Most people (I, for one:) don't want to spend much time to
arrange icons, but they like them aligned, and they think a "Arrange
Icons" option, as in Windows, destroys their order and arrangement way
too much.

In this light, the KDE way of doing it strikes me as being close to
ideal.

Perhaps this should be a configurable option in gmc?

(Yes. I am aware of the First Law of the GNU.)

mawa
--
When you care enough to post the very worst.
                                                       -- Cary Sandvig