RE: Desktop context menus and icons should be Gnome intrinsic, not tied to gmc.

> >The way desktop icons are handled by gmc at the moment already looks
> >quite satisfactory to me. One may discuss whether it's logical to have
> >that functionality in the file manager - I for one think it's OK,
> >after all, they're files, aren't they? I can live with the way it's
> >done at the moment.
>
> I just don't want to have to run gmc all the time to get desktop icons.

Just let gnome-session or .Xclients start gmc for you... You won't even
notice it's running if you give it the --nowindows option. If it dies when
you close a gmc window, then you either have an old version or you need to
make clean; make; make install. GMC does not have full dependencies,
according to the developers, so the safest bet is to make clean before
compiling so that all files that need to be rebuilt are, or weird thigs may
happen.

Richard