gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image: *.png

I have just finished successfully compiling everything up to gnome-core on a
FreeBSD 2.2.8 box.  Now at run-time, it seems that imlib cannot read any png
images.

I had a static library of libpng 1.0.1 installed when I first got these
errors.  I then upgraded to libpng version 1.0.3, also static, and
recompiled everything from imlib on up.  The error still persisted.  I use a
static libpng because I could not get ld to produce a dynamic one.

The version of imlib is 1.9.4., compiled with glib/gtk+ 1.2.1.   I also
experimented with using a recent CVS snapshot of imlib, without success.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this?  The errors pasted below are
from the panel starting up.  The same errors are produced if a try to load a
png image in ee.

Ned

gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-normal-up.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-normal-down.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-purple-up.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-purple-down.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-green-up.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-green-down.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-blue-up.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-blue-down.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/panel-arrow-left.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/panel-arrow-up.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/panel-arrow-right.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/panel-arrow-down.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/gnome-logo-icon-transparent.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image: /usr/local/share/pixmaps/gnome-help.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/control-center.png
All fallbacks failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image: /usr/local/share/pixmaps/netscape.png
All fallbacks failed.

Ned