Re: Another GMC suggestion/request

In message <19990402143037.A414@audrey>, Matthias Warkus <mawarkus@t-
online.de> writes
>+++ Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 09:16:27AM +0200 +++
>Bertrand Guiheneuf e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
>>
>> federico@nuclecu.unam.mx said:
>> // Hit C-s.  Then you can begin typing the name of the file you want to
>> // go to.
>>
>> You should not have to hit C-s. Users will not find it.
>
>Why not? It's the standard search key in Emacs and info, for one, it's
>easy to memorise, and it doesn't pollute the namespace.

1. I wholehearted agree with the type-till-you-get-your-icon idea;

2. C-s won't be found by the average user. I know EMACs uses such
   bindings, but, well, put it this way, I tried to work out how to read
   news in EMACs last night and gave up after trying to work out how it
   uses the module.

I think development would be a lot simpler if people built for newbies,
and made keystrokes and advanced options for those who know about them.
--
James Green