Re: Updated GNOME FAQ: v1.0.5a

Gleef,

Hi. Nice to meet you.

I've been running Gnome for a few months now.  I use a Slackware box and
compile from the tar balls.

I have a suggestion.

Section 2.3 of the FAQ is out of date and probably always will be. This
section lists the support files necessary to run gnome. For example, the
version of ORBit listed will not support a compile of the latest gnome
packages.

What I have experienced with gnome is a lot of confusion as to what
packages are needed and where to get them.  I see that the FAW is trying
to address this, but I think there is a better way.

I suggest that the Gnome project follow the example of the Linux kernel
and provide a CHANGES file.  I suggest the CHANGES file be distributed as
part of gnome-libs and include the following information:

1) a list of each support package that is NOT part of gnome but is
REQUIRED to compile/run it.  For each package, list:
   a) the required version for this gnome-libs
   b) how to determine what version you currently have, if any
   c) its HOME distribution site (not gnomes site)

2) a list of each package that IS part of gnome proper and that is
REQUIRED for a BARE MINIMUM INSTALLATION

3) a pointer to a list of all the optional gnome packages (ie the gnome
website list)

Since gnome-libs is the base package that everything else rests on, it
makes sense to have a CHANGES file included with it that can be patched as
dependencies change.  The FAQ could reference this CHANGES file as the
definitive source of the latest information.

I hope that something along these lines can be done.  I think it will save
everyone a lot of time and trouble to have a single definitive
source-controlled location to obtain this information.

-Matt