gnome-terminal: "DEL"-key behaviour

Hello you,

I allready posted this some time ago, but I forgot that I have a german
keyboard, where the Entf-key is in english the DEL-key, sorry.

I'm used to the usual behaviour of the DEL key. The key is supposed to
delete the character at the cursor position and not the one that is left
to the cursor. I know, it's stupid, but it is just my habit by now to use
the DEL-key to edit commands from the history. So where can I change
this? Maybe I`ve got to play around with the classes of the terminal, but
what do I have to edit and where. I allready tried the option swap
DEL/Backspace, with no effect. I`ve got the latest gnome release on a
SuSE 6.0 system (glibc 2.0.7).

Thanks for your help,

Sebastian Weber