scrolling during selection ?!

In a different message I complain about the difficulty of selecting
regions (or DND-ing inside areas) that are greater in size than the
size of the window.

Two examples.

 Cat a large file in the GNOME Terminal and try to select a chunk of
 text that is larger than terminal window.

 Drag a file in a directory in GMC to a folder in the same directory
 that is not currently visible.  GMC does not scroll.

Am I missing a setting somewhere or is this a shortcoming of GNOME or
the underlying toolkits?

Gisli