Re: static vs shared (was: Re: Win vs. UNIX usability )

L> Actually, for most applications, *not* using shared librarys is
L> better than using them.  <Big noisy storm of protests>

Sure, for most single applications.  But if you have multiple
applications, you want shared libraries.

L> However, *Problems* begin to arise as soon as other, smaller
L> applications starts to puke up *their* own shared librarys. In the
L> windows world this actually has become one of the main Sources of
L> Greater Problems, including system crashes!

Right.  Because Windows shared libraries and app install model has
lots of problems that we don't have.  Like the fact that applications
are expected to provide any OS updates needed during install.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
IBM: Infinite Budget Merchandising