problem compiling gnome-core -- c++ keyword conflict

when compiling 'gnome-core' I got a parse error in the included file
'/usr/include/libgnomeui/gnome-animator.h' on line 95.  here is the code
(and context) from gnome-animator.h

> struct _GnomeAnimator
>   {
>     GtkWidget widget;
>
>     GnomeAnimatorFrame *frames;
>     guint num_frames;
>
>     guint current_frame_number;
>
>     GnomeAnimatorStatus status;
>
>     GnomeAnimatorLoopType loop_type;
>
>     gint playback_direction;
>
>     guint timeout_id;
>
>     double playback_speed;
>
>     GnomeAnimatorPrivate *private; <= line 95
>   };
the problem is that some of the gnome-core is in c++ (or at least using
g++ as a compiler) and that 'private' is a c++ keyword. So (as a kludge
fix) I renamed it.

should I have installed gtk-- before compiling the gnome-core?

or is something wrong with my setup because it is using g++ instead
of gcc? (although gcc is being used for other parts...)

--Eric Guenterberg