Re: thumbs up to all developers! (please read)

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 17:37:12 -0500 (CDT), Kevin Miller <sar@hempseed.com> wrote:

>Yes, they are doing an awesome job.
>
>I send in my (probably considered weak) bug reports because its all I can
>do to help.  If I knew more coding and such than I know, I would
>definately do more, but I am slowly learning, and as I learn, my bug
>reports advance a little.  When I send my "in gnomeblahblah: this doesnt
>work correctly", I am doing it to inform, not to complain about bad work.
>I know if I wrote something, I would want responses on what may be broken.

The help of people in all areas is appreciated - bug reports are definitely
one of those areas.

Other areas where people can help out as their skills & time dictate:
	- Documentation. It is often hard for people who are coding to
	  write good docs. If you can read C code, helping to document
	  the GNOME library API's would be a good thing - even if
	  you don't understand all the details, you can ask
	  the library routine authors.
	  If you can't read C code, then there is still the
	  task of writing user documentation - this is especially
	  hard for programmers because, having written the programs,
	  they can't see how someone could possibly NOT know how to
	  use their programs :-)
	- Making screenshots, web sites, themes, icons, sounds, etc.
	- Making sure the user interface is consistent between all
	  GNOME programs.
	- Writing up general testing procedures for GNOME programs.
	  (No, you don't have to know how to code for this, although
	   that never hurt anyone :)
	- It would be nice to have someone dedicate their time
	  to managing bug reports (hey, you get to tell prog. authors
	  about all their mistakes - what more could you want? :)
	- <Fill in the blank>

It is impossible for the people writing the code to make a good desktop
by themselves - we are all in this ride together, so don't be afraid to pitch
in ;-)

Thanks,
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg