yikes! dependancy probs, old gtk apps don't work

Allright first off, I just got gnome and I think it's awesome, and this
talk about OLE for gnome sounds really great.

Unfourtunately installation didn't go completely without a hitch, even
though gnome run fine, the panel works and the majority of the apps seem
to work, I'm having 3 problems.
Now keep in mind I installed the most recent everything in the
ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/latest, which would be all the 0.30 packages
available in rpm up to date, the rest 0.27.

1) my old gtk+ apps don't work.  Now I'm using red hat 5.1, I did read
the guide and I did install the gtk+10-1.0.6 and the glib10-1.0.6-1.
Nevertheless linuxconf refuses to run with a "remadmin (GUI front end)
exiting abnormally" error, and gimp 0.99.28 gives me
"/usr/lib/libgtk.so.1: undefined symbol: g_strdelimit".
My previous version of gtk was 1.0.1-3 which is what came with my red
hat 5.1,my  prev version of glib should also be whatever came with 5.1

2) stuff like gmc and most of the 0.27 stuff will not install.  Rpm
tells me (this example is for gmc):
	libgdk-1.1.so.1 is needed by gmc-4.1.35-3
	libglib-1.1.so.0 is needed by gmc-4.1.35-3
	libgtk-1.1.so.1 is needed by gmc-4.1.35-3
I tried doing a nodeps install, and making symbolic links from the
respective libraries to my most recent version of that library (ie.
libgtk-1.1.so.1 linked to libgtk-1.1.so.2, but the program will not run
with this.

3) when I ran autogen.sh for gtkicq, it says it can't find a
gnomeConf.sh which is installed with gnome-libs, now I can't find the
file and I did a file list query on gnome-libs and that file isn't in
the package (this is version 0.30), where would the file be found?

thanx a whole bunch
-Michael Celli-