What the hell is target 'po' anyways? Re: po files

<rant>

Ditto here, this also stopped me on gnome-libs. Then I saw Jim Pick's
announcement that he packaged gnome-libs 0.30 for Debian so I grabbed
that and the development files and then when I tried to compile
gnome-media I got the exact same error!!! If you remove the 'po' target
from the Makefile the compile will last for quite some time before
bailing. Now is the 'po' target required? Every single module seems to
have it first. I haven't seen POTFILES addressed in any of the gnome
tutorials on compiling and cvs, etc.... Is this some extremely
newbie-ish problem like the macros thing and you guys in the know are
just too lazy to answer and explain or do none of you have any clue? I
did a lot of web searches for info on resolving this problem and came up
dry. And for all neat things the gnome.org website has like lxr and
bonsai for browsing and info, they could at least get a decent
browseable mail-list archive going like Debian, etc., etc... just in
case this question has been answered a hundred times in the past. My
search attempts using egrep strings with the current archive retrievel
interface came up dry.

All I want is this stupid freakin' extace thing and it appears Jim Pick
only packaged a small chunk of gnome-media with his *.deb, and no
extace, so compiling is my only way to get a working binary on my
system, I'm fresh outta options.

If any of you want to see what it looks like, it's the huge window in
the lower left corner of this screen grab:
http://e.themes.org/cgi-bin/pic.cgi?src=/gallery/vhunterd.jpg

</rant>

Christopher