Re: RedHat, Linux and Free Software

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Peter Petrakis wrote:

> When did Intel join the camp? Can you point me to a web page?

Intel has been "in the camp" for quite a while, actually.  IIRC they
helped to develop pgcc to some extent.  As for a web page, slashdot is
back up - they have a link.

On a side note, you should read Intel's response to PCI-X ... I don't have
a URL (read it in CRN, I think) but they've already planned to get rid of
PCI in favor of a serial bus (not terribly unlike USB, I guess).  The
thing about it though is that is gets rid of the interrupt model so that
the CPU doesn't have to stop to service the bus.  According to Intel,
Microsoft is scared as hell about this because it means that device
drivers, if not completely portable, are almost trivial to write, striking
a major blow against MS's main advantage.

Not to mention that Intel is one of the companies trying to lead the way
in creating a universal device driver architecture for Unix-on-Intel.
Don't believe what you read about "wintel".  Intel is a part of that under
diress.  They really don't give a crap about MS, especially since that
whole PentiumPro thing and Windows 95.  They're just covering their asses
as best they can because they know that MS can always go back to the Mac
if they get desperate.  People are going to follow the apps and Macs are
still easier to use than PCs.

Lots of $0.02 there ...

Christopher