Re: Suggestion: notify when programs finish

Stefan> 2. I'd like to see a X wide notification service that is not
Stefan> gnome specific, but works with KDE as well (and others). A
Stefan> notification service should at least be that configurable that
Stefan> you can choose to simply log the messages into a window that
Stefan> is on the bottom of your screen, or display the things via
Stefan> messagebox, or... do whatever.

My long-time plan has been to have a general event service.  Programs
can post events or receive them as they desire.  In general
applications will be encouraged to post an event any time anything
"interesting" happens.

A notification client like the one you propose would just be one
listener.  Another might choose to pop up a dialog on certain events.
Yet another might play a sound in response to some event.

I already have a design for this service.  I've written the IDL, but
haven't started on the implementation.

Tom