Re: ORBit 0.3.0: --disable-static doesn't work

Tristan Tarrant <ttarrant@suntlc.etnoteam.it> writes:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Dick Porter wrote:
> > Some of the test/ objects were specifically compiled -static to test the
> > difference between dynamic and static linking on various aspects.
>
> Then the test directory should not be compiled if we're doing a
> --disable-static.

This seems to be the only general solution, doesn't it?  Both because
of Dick's argument, and because of the fact that on at least some
systems dynamic linking won't pick up the newly compiled libs instead
of older ones.  So I'd vote not to compile the tests if
--disable-static is given.  Alternatively, since these tests might be
important for experts only (is that right?), let's introduce another
configure option --enable-tests, which could in turn automatically
enable static libraries as well.

Thanks for your input,
	Alex

--