Re: GnomeAnimator widget

On Wed, Sep 23, 1998 at 12:01:32AM +0200, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> I am not into the details of the GNOME libs very much yet, but,
> besides using `GnomeStockPixmap's, shouldn't there be also a
> `GnomeStockAnimator' widget so that we can have stock animations too?
> (This question just comes from a very quick look at the code.)

Yes, there should be stock animations. But we don't need a new widget for
this. The only reason why stock pixmaps use a separate widget is that there is
additional functionality behind those pixmaps (e.g. they get grayed out when
disabled). Maybe we should talk about how the stock animations would be
implemented. We could store those animations somewhere on the disk to load
them on demand or we could store them directly in libgnomeui.so to share the
memory between apps (like it is done with stock pixmaps right now).

This doesn't affect the GnomeAnimator API though, so I didn't mention it :-)

>     Eckehard> And it might be handy to load a complete animation from
>     Eckehard> an animated GIF.
>
> Sure.  But Imlib does not provide this yet AFAIK (somebody please
> correct me if I am wrong).  If Raster gives me the permission to do so
> I could give it a shot.  :-)

I don't know if this would go into Imlib. Animated GIFs are quite special.
Maybe this should be implemented in the GnomeAnimator widget.

--
Eckehard Berns