Re: word processor document format: what parts?

  >> Miguel de Icaza writes:

  MdI> Hello Lars,

  >> We are also looking for gtk/Gnome programmers that could help on
  >> making a port to gtk/Gnome.
  >>
  >> So far we have only had people saying that a gtk port would be
  >> nice but none offering to do any programming on it.

  MdI> Last thing I heard the LyX team was designing a
  MdI> toolkit-independent layer so that porting LyX would be easier.
  MdI> Is that the case?

Yes, we are working on that one. But since we only have close
knowledge about the XForms library we are not always able to see what
needs other GULs needs. So we would really like some input on the
toolkit-indepentent layer too.

  MdI> Could you fill us in with the details on what the status of LyX
  MdI> is right now? Do you still want to aim at toolkit independence?

The 0.12.x is fairly stable and we have begun the 0.13.x development
cycle, currently we are in the middle of a rewrite of the backend,
especially untieing lyx from the Xforms dependencies. The core data
structures are also beeing rewritten so that it will be easier to
maintain and to extend with new features.

  MdI> I am sure once these issues have been explained, we can start
  MdI> working on it.

Hope so.

	Lgb