Re: gnome-terminal idea

On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 06:24:22PM -0400, Tim Moore wrote:
> Why on earth does anybody like the GNOME-MDI? (Or any MDI, for that
> matter)
>
> I don't mean to offend anyone, I just don't see what the advantages are to
> using notebook pages instead of top-levels. I know you can set your
> preference in Look and Feel Properties, I just wonder why anyone would
> rather have multiple views in one window.

have you taken a look at gnome mdi .. it can do both .... I for one like
the notebook approach a lot ... but you can just use the toplevel
window part ...

> * You can't tile the windows next to each other.
> * It's application rather than document-centric, where windows represent
> abstract application controls rather than a frame for the current
> document/task/whatever.
> * It breaks the autonomy of individual document windows.
> * It eats screen real-estate

separate windows eat screen real estate .. one notebook with windows in it
is very nice to the screen real estate

even toplevels eat more then a say a notebook ...

if I want to tile one next to the other, I just pull out the notebook
tab, drop it on the root window, and voila ... I have a new topleve
window

George