Re: Gnome and Gimp

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 06:08:18PM +0200, Alberto Manuel Brandao Simoes wrote:
> 	I've compiled Gnome... it is working.. (I think.. so far, so good)
> but, then, I noticed that GIMP cannot open Jpegs and I tried to compile it.
>
> 	What was my surprise when I noticed that GIMP can't compile with
> Gtk 1.1.1 and Gnome must have Gtk 1.1.1.

Aah - but the _development_ version of GIMP works with the _development_
version of GTK+ (1.1.x)

> 	I thought that Gtk was developed for GIMP, and, when writting Gnome,
> they will think that there are people who like GIMP.
>
> 		Well, help me, if there is some possibility to have
> 			Gimp and Gnome together.

You can have both GTK+-1.0.x and GTK+-1.1.x on the same system...

> 		If no, I must reinstall RedHat... I prefer the Gimp
> 			to the Gnome...

You almost never need to reinstall for these sort of problems.
Frankly, however, GNOME is not ready for real public comsumption.
If you install a development version of GTK as your only GTK,
you're going to need to use the development version of the GIMP too...

Matt
msw@gimp.org