Re: My Proposal - (A Contest: Caastles in the Sand)

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Mark Galassi wrote:
>Edward> GNU already has the best word processor in the world
>    Edward> EMACS. Just rip out the athena code replacing it with GTK
>    Edward> update M-x richtext and bob's your uncle, you have a word
>    Edward> proccessor that outstrips anything Microsoft will ever
>    Edward> write.
>
>Not quite: emacs does not do "word processing".  It does much better,
>by allowing you to edit TeX, SGML and other typesetting markup, but it
>is not a WYSIWYG word processor that you can give your mom and dad.
>That is what people are talking about here.

My requirement is that it be able to read legacy files and write a format that
is readable by other operating systems' typical word processors.

Funny, too, I tab to indent paragraphs.  I do use the centering feature for
titles, though.

My requirements in a wp are probably a lot simplier in terms of formatting than
the average office, though.   After the discussion here, I think I'd better
finish the current book, then spend some time with document management texts
and the like.

Re what most people do with Word -- it comes on the box they buy, so they use
it the way they used the last word processing program or typewriter they used.
Word's a default, not a purchasing decision.

--
Rebecca Ore

--
Rebecca Ore