Re: word processor document format: what parts?

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Olof Oberg wrote:

> Also I think we are talking too much about DTDs and specific style
> languages. I think we have agreed that the native file format should
> be an application of XML.

Careful point here: what I (and most of those who are talking about
something more than a word clone) are proposing is _not_ that the file
format be an _application_ of XML.  That much is simple and obvious.

Instead, we are suggesting that we use the existing work done in XML,
XSL/DSSL/CSS, and possibly DOM as the underlying framework for a word
processor.

Hence, the system would not support a single application of XML, but many
different applications of XML which could be defined on an arbitrary
basis -- i.e. multiple DTD's as opposed to one DTD's.

The one DTD approach (used, for example, in gnumeric) is fine -- if all
you want is a word processor.  The thing is that a one-DTD word processor
is liable to end up being 75% of the effort of a multi-DTD capable word
processor.  Without the expandability and extended capabilities.

Patrick

If we're to have any luck stanching the vain drain, we just have to
let nerds be nerds...  Owen Edwards, Forbes Magazine