Re: word processor document format: what parts?

> Forcing this kind of users to use styles could be a challlenge.

As I said before, I do realize that this would be VERY difficult, but is
a challenge I think worth some work.  Perhaps what would be in order is
a combination of two threads here - the paperclip/tips thread, and the
XML thread. Something that would walk the early user through the design
of documents. Or, more outlandishly, how about a way to create XML/XSL
on the fly as the user creates the document. That way, if they don't
want to mess with a particular structure they don't have to.

Now for a little anecdote:

A few days ago a fried, who works in the IT department for a major
university got a call from a secretary. This secreatary had "lost" a
file. She couldn't remember the NAME of the file, nor what server she
had placed it on. However, she was sure she had put it "on the
mainframe." My friend was informed that it was HIS RESPONSIBILITY to
find her file by the secretaries supervisor. I ask you, if the lady had
lost a file in a filling cabinet, would it be the office supply
companies responsibility to find the file? It end up she thought her C
drive was "the mainframe" and when they installed new computers at
everyones station, no more files.

Computers are not doorknobs or lightswitches. They take training to
learn how to use. Just as every one of us took some time to learn how to
write, read a clock,a nd tie our shoes, there will always be a learning
curve. People unreasonably believe they can sit down with a computer and
know what to do. "my mother wouldn't know what to do" is not an excuse
for poor design - either our mothers needs to buy a typewriter, or they
need to spend half an hour reading the manual.

tim