Locale?

Ok #1 Im new to gnome dev, and very new to perl And I dont understand
the below error, its just the start of problems with a RedHat 5.1 (x86)
system with all updates (including jpeg) and nothing will compile for
me  and precompiled stuff like ee dies with this error

/usr/lib/libgnomeui.so.0: undefined symbol: GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR

in ./autogen.sh when I try to recompile  I get this error on all CVS src
trees,

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_RN"

can anyone steer me in the right dirrection ???

PS. some but not all precompiled  rpms from the redhat work IE I can get
panel and help-browser working, and some but not all games

Thanks
Vince