Re: Word Processors

Tim Moore writes:
 > Miguel de Icaza wrote:
 > >
 > > > The **worst** feature of Word 97, after talking paperclips.
 > >
 > > Wierd.  I think the paperclip is a great idea.
 > >
 > > I have even been thinking about how to make a framework for guessing
 > > what the user is doing in GNOME.
 >
 > I think the general attitude is that new users love it, techies despise
 > it. So it's good that it's there, as long as you can easily turn it off
 > (I don't really know, I've never used Office 97).
 >
 > OTOH, even experienced users could make use of automatic passive
 > assistance from time to time. It's just a matter of implementing it in a
 > non-annoying way.

	I've seen Office 97 working once.  The guy was screaming and
flailing, trying to turn the dumb shit off.  "Hi, is this a letter and
should the next word be Mom and Dad? You've typed M...."  And he was a
programmer.

       No.

	Balloon help?  Asking for help?

	I rather like balloon help.

	A.  How likely is it that we're going to be on enterprise
desktops outside computer-related fields any time before Y2K?  It
might be well to not worry about the new users.

        B.  Are we talking about creeping featuritus?  I know people
who believe that WP's peaked with WordPerfect 5.1.

        C.  The design should be helpful, first.  And maybe something
like XEmac's splash screen.

	 If I'm understanding correctly, we could have a file library
of draggable/droppable modules and plug-ins also available as
command-line options.

         Maybe pull-down menus that are drag and drop or command line
options.  You don't load them; they're not there.  You want these
additional pull down choices, you load this modules.

--
Rebecca