Re: GNOME printing model

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, John R Sheets wrote:

> One really nice way about the way M$ does printing is that you
> can use the exact same printing code to do a print preview that
> you use to print on paper.  The drawing medium (device context)
> is abstracted so that you just change the device behind it, and
> your same picture will go to a printer instead of the screen.
>
> Any chance GNOME will follow this lead (at least in concept)?  A
> print preview would be fabulous, and possibly critical for
> certain apps.  It would be very handy to be able to generate this
> preview automatically.  Of course, Windows doesn't really have
> any integrated support for postscript, whereas GNOME will, so
> GNOME probably won't have to do as much monkeying around with
> abstractions to get the same results.  Just move the ps around.

I have a question regarding postscript printing. I usually print my .ps
documents on friend's Win95 machine with ghostscript. That machine has 16
megs of RAM and printing just 10 pages is a horror. The machine is swaping
all the time and it's really slow. It was not much better on 32 megs
machine with 20 pages to print.

Will that be the case with Linux/Gnome, too?

--
Bye,
	Samuel