Re: Word Processors

Reklaw wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:48:51 Rebecca Ore wrote:
>
> > a wp now.  .XML -- Is this the thing formerly known as Active X?  We
> > had some discussion of it inadvertantly in one of the abuse groups.
> > If it is Active X, and if I remember correctly, there are some
> > security concerns.

> Nope. XML != ActiveX. XML is an extenisable file format. ActiveX is
> little bits of crap filling up your hard drive. Seriously, ActiveX
> is a form a GUI controls.

Yep.  To expand a little, XML is a descendent of SGML, and a sort
of half-brother to HTML.  Where HTML is more geared toward
presentation of web content, XML is geared toward generic data
presentation & storage.

On the other side of the spectrum, ActiveX is a _proprietary_
Microsoft object component technology, a slimmed-down version of
OLE.  MS's answer to web controls.

John