Re: gnome win32

"Jesse D. Sightler" <jsight@pair.com> writes:
> It's worth pointing out that this port is not really a port of GTK to Win32,
> but rather of making GTK and some apps written to it work under a version of
> Win32 heavily modified to be as much of a UNIX emulator as possible.
>:)
>

> Meaning, for example, that one must install an X server on your windows
> machine, as well as a complete UNIX emulation layer in order to use the
> port.  This is not nearly as useful to those wishing to perform
> cross-platform development as a full port of GTK to the Win32 API.  Of
> course, that would take much longer...

I think you're thinking of another port.  The web page for the item I
was talking about is:

http://www.vtt.fi/tte/staff/tml/gimp/win32/

It certainly makes no mention of requiring an X server.  And it states
you can compile his hacked Gtk with MSVC and Watcom (as well as
gnu-win and lcc-win).  I think you're thinking of something else.
This guy seems to have gone "totally native".

If this is the case, it's sort of amusing, and can only make me think
of Linus' old statement that Linux would only ever be i386---again,
everyone assumed that since the Gtk authors said it would only ever be
X based that they were correct...:-)

Mike.