Re: Word Processors

I agree It save and load HTML (PW does, formatting lost on load :()
and XML.
Can someone more familliar with XML comment about it.
My understanding is that it lets app designers create custom tag.
The great thing is that you only need one parser to read any
format. When an app wants to support an XML file created by
another app, it only needs to implement those tags -- leaving
the parseing untouched.

Did I get that anywhere near right?

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:41:59 Timothy Ritchey wrote:
> One thing someone might look into is what office 2000 is going to
> support. I heard a rumor that Word 2000 (or whatever FUBAR versioning
> scheme they choose to use) was going to use XML as a document format.
> They have already moved their help files to HTML, and may be moving in
> the same direction for Word.
>
> Well, I spoke too soon - I did a quick search, and found the following
>
> It's Not Just a .doc and .xls World Anymore
>
> IMHO
> December 18, 1997
>
> John Swenson
> MSDN Online

<SNIP MS stuff about using HTML comments to preserve formating>

> Microsoft couldn't accomplish this file-format conversion trick by using
> straight HTML though. The next version of
> Office will also rely on XML (Extensible Markup Language) to preserve
> richly formatted Office documents in the
> .htm format.
>
> In case you're unfamiliar with XML, this is the new Web technology that
> made a big splash at the December Internet
> World 1997 trade show in New York City. See the "XML: One Hot
> Abbreviation, but What Does It Mean?" article I
> wrote on the topic for more information.
>
> XML complements, not replaces, HTML. It provides a standard format to
> describe different types of data, so that
> the information can be decoded, manipulated, and displayed consistently
> and correctly. Like HTML, XML is an
> industry standard, or at least in the process of becoming one.
> (Microsoft is working closely with the W3C to
> develop the XML 1.0 specification, which is now in the "proposed
> recommendation" stage.)

Reklaw - I code therefore I need gin and sprite.
GNOME software projects - Pharmacy * gnome-standalone
http://home.earthlink.net/~nawalker/