How to keep windows from maximizing over the panel

Has anyone figured out how to make a window manager (any window manager!)
avoid obscuring the panel when maximizing windows? I'm trying to convert
my LinuxPPC box at home from KDE to GNOME, and I don't like how the panel
keeps getting hidden (which KWM avoids). I don't really care what WM I use
-- I'm new enough to Linux to not have a religious preference ;-)

TIA,
Tim