Re: latest CVS vs. Solaris 2.5.1

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980914231528.4731B-100000@infcip51.uni-trier.de>, Mar
tin Baulig writes:
+-----
| On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Brandon S. Allbery wrote:
| > * Various parts of GNOME (notably, libgtop) still don't comprehend that
| > Solaris passes everything through a name service switch and therefore
| > "-lresolv -lsocket -lnsl" is needed almost everywhere.  (gnome-libs' check
|
| Is it ok to check for `_getnetbyaddr' in -lresolv, for `socket' in
| -lsocket and for `gethostbyname' in -lnsl ?
+--->8

Looks as if.  It would be nice if there were a simple way to discover that in
fact anything that calls e.g. getpwnam() actually needs all that gunk on a
Solaris box (and, presumably on any other system using an "integrated" naming
service, whether it be NIS+ or LDAP or etc.) but I think that might be pushing
it.:-/  ("who designed these bloody OSes anyway?")