Re: Problems compiling

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Michael Bruce wrote:
> >
> > The first problem: I can't get anything (=glib) to build as a shared
> > library.  I've tried all the listed flags to autogen.sh, and have even
> > edited configure to try to trick the thing.  It just won't do it.  Is
> > this purposeful, or have I just missed something?
> >

> It will build as a shared library automatically. Just don't change
> anything. The .so is in a subdirectory called .libs; it will install when
> you make install.

The only problem being, it doesn't.

> > The second problem: gnome-libs won't detect gtk.  It fails on
> > compilation of it's gtk testing program with three errors, all
> > undefined references to gtk_[x]_version , where x = major, minor and
> > micro.  I think this could be related to the first problem, but I just
> > don't know.
> >

> gnome-libs probably requires CVS glib and gtk.

. . .which are installed, but only as .a libs.

> It would help to have the version of glib and gtk you're using, the exact
> error messages for any build failures, and the contents of config.log
> anytime configure fails to detect something.

I summarized it.  Those were the three error messages it gave.  I'm
somewhat reluctant to clutter the group with the whole thing, most of
which is not error messages.

--
Michael Bruce  | http://www.infinet.com/~bruce UPDATE 8-10-1998
"I am already the undisputed KING of Usenet and all Government