Problems compiling

I've just been trying to compile GNOME from CVS, and I'm having numerous
problems.

The first problem: I can't get anything (=glib) to build as a shared
library.  I've tried all the listed flags to autogen.sh, and have even
edited configure to try to trick the thing.  It just won't do it.  Is
this purposeful, or have I just missed something?

The second problem: gnome-libs won't detect gtk.  It fails on
compilation of it's gtk testing program with three errors, all
undefined references to gtk_[x]_version , where x = major, minor and
micro.  I think this could be related to the first problem, but I just
don't know.

I'm having many other problems, but I'm relatively confident that
they're related to the first two.  Any help is appreciated.

--
Michael Bruce (mabruce@students.wisc.edu / bruce@infinet.com)
    last updated 08-30-1998 -> http://www.infinet.com/~bruce/