Re: FAQ addition (was Re: Another one with compiling problems :()

:This one should be in the FAQ, it's a common problem and is caused
:on at least all RH5.0 systems and probably all systems which use
:precompiled X11R6 binaries.
:
:Problem:
:linking gtk-xmhtml fails with undefined references to
:`uncompress' and `compress'
:
:Cause:
:XFree86. It installs a static libz.a in /usr/X11R6/lib/libz.a, and
:when /usr/X11R6/lib is specified on the command line, ld will take
:/usr/X11R6/lib/libz.a instead of /usr/lib/libz.[a|so]
:
:Solution:
:Simply remove /usr/X11R6/lib/libz.a as it serves no purpose whatsoever.

This will probably work too, but I deleted the zlib files, and installed the lates version from the .tar.gz, the .i386.rpm didn't have any effect.
Ok, the gnome-libs compiled fine (finaly), so did the gnome-objc and the gnome-guile. The I tried to ./configure the gnome-core and got:
.
checking for orbit-config... no
checking for MICO prefix... not found
configure: error: MICO not found

and it quit. Two questions: If I don;t have this MICO thing, what is it and where can I get it?
And two: I read a LOT about orbit on the list, what is THAT, and do I need it?

Gert (Gs2@dds.nl)