Re: GnomeCanvas

> Before you all go off reinventing the wheel, have a look at GYVE:
>
> http://bandits.aist-nara.ac.jp/~masata-y/gyve/
>
> It's a drawing program based on GTK+ and DPS. It's not too far along, and
> its currently not written with the GNOME libs, but I think it would make a
> good candidate for GNOMEification, especially since it's being designed as
> a companion to GIMP.

Raph and I have looked at Gyve some and have contacted the Gyve team
in the past.  We do believe that it is pretty tied to Display
Postscript, which is a bad thing for the following reasons:

	1. Display Postscript has no support for transparency (which
	   Raph's canvas has as well as other things, look for his
	   gfonted for a demostration of his display engine).

	2. the Display Postscript state in the free world is pretty
	   bad:  it is both slow, non-released, non-finished, a pain
	   to setup and advancing slowly and it is not clear whether
	   the code is being made available on the free version of
	   Ghostscript.

	3. A benchmark on the Display Postscript has shown that it is
	   significantly slower on a local display than the Caanvas.

Now, the Caanvas engine can do antialiasing on the objects inserted,
supports an alpha channel, does spline drawing (which is the foundation
to render fonts in the Caanvas).

Miguel.