Re: Icewm hacks for GNOME

Felix Bellaby wrote:

> Unless the wm runs on this host it will be unable to reproduce the

The average WM is logically composed of two parts:

  - Part that manages windows/workspaces. This part should not need
    access to the filesystem (configuration could be hardcoded or
    set by X properties or something).

  - Part that tries to be a desktop and provides program launching,...
    obviously requires filesystem access.

They are usually/sometimes built into the same executable but there is
no
reason they should be.

> panel menu as part of its root menu, a feature which I think is highly
> desirable.

IMO the root menu should be generated by the same part of GNOME that
generates the root icons (gmc I believe). The root window should behave
just like any other folder in gmc (without the menu). It would be
a good thing if it was focusable (this requires some WM support - either
support focusing the root window, or window layers).

Mark
--
... null