Re: DocBook (isn't it sgml-tools1.1 ?)

Bertrand Guiheneuf <Bertrand.Guiheneuf@inria.fr> writes:

> I took a look at the davenport page and at the sgmltools page
> (http://www.sgmltools.org/)
> and as far as I understood the informations there, DocBook is only a dtd
> whereas the tools used to process the documents are form the sgmltools
> project (jade?).

DocBook is only a DTD, but one of the reasons we're using SGML is that
the document itself is separate from the tools used to process it.
You can use Jade to produce readable output from DocBook source, but
you can also use other tools; also, there are several different
stylesheets available that you can use with Jade.

In addition, Jade is an independent program.  The sgmltools people may
be using it, but it is not written specifically for sgmltools.  See
http://www.jclark.com for the Jade home page.

> So, would someone with enough knowledge explain me why Gnome'rs always refer
> to DocBook instead of sgmltool 1.1.
>
> If the answer is that it is only a matter of vocabulary, can the official
> sgml-tools1.1 dist be used for formatting our doc.

If they have switched to DocBook.  I thought they were still using
LinuxDoc and were in the process of changing.

--
Andrew Smith
amsmith@hempseed.com