Re: app-encapsulation and transparent-install (MS is doing it)

On Sun, Sep 06, 1998 at 02:12:45AM +0100, Felix Bellaby wrote:
> David Jeske writes:
>  > I just wanted to follow up on some ideas I was throwing around here
>  > for stricter encapsulation of application data a while back. The next
>  > logical step, once app data is encapsulated strictly, is doing some
>  > kind of 'transparent-installation'. Something like how Marimba
>  > works(ed) for Java applications. In this model, the OS merely 'caches'
>  > application data, knowing it can get it out there somewhere should it
>  > need it again.
>
> This approach to software is well discussed in the CORBA services
> specification.
>
> The trading service provides a mechanism for discovering how an
> object can be implemented at a location. This involves finding
> appropriate software and setting it in motion linked to the objects
> persistent data. As a part of this process the object data and the
> software may need to be transferred between locations. The
> relationship and life cycle services provide the structure needed to
> work out what has to be transferred. Properly implemented these
> processes should be as transparent to the PROGRAMMER as memory
> swapping is under UNIX. The end user is equally unaware of how
> operations are actually implemented.
>
> Using CORBA to implement the document model in GNOME should mean
> that you can transfer a document to another user without worrying
> about whether they have the software to manipulate it. CORBA will
> organise their local environment to accomodate the document
> automatically. AFAIK the CORBA services spec does not describe
> mechanisms for freeing resources when services are no longer
> required. However, the services that it does describe could maintain
> reference counts and access times to support garbage collection.

That sounds good. How does that work for non-document oriented
applications? For example, a game. Or, how does that work when someone
wants to create the document type, but dosn't have an existing document.

Is this something which is taken directly from the standard CORBA
services specification? Has anyone ever implemented this system
before?

Thanks for the great information.

> I seriously doubt that MS is coming up with anything half as
> sophisticated as the CORBA model. If GNOME fully implements the
> CORBA services document model then Gates will be dead in the water.

I am not aware of a system which uses the CORBA model yet, and as they
say, the "proof is in the pudding". Last time I looked at the CORBA
services specification it was a buch of 'well thoughtout design' which
nobody had ever implemented.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net