app-encapsulation and transparent-install (MS is doing it)

David Jeske writes:
 > I just wanted to follow up on some ideas I was throwing around here
 > for stricter encapsulation of application data a while back. The next
 > logical step, once app data is encapsulated strictly, is doing some
 > kind of 'transparent-installation'. Something like how Marimba
 > works(ed) for Java applications. In this model, the OS merely 'caches'
 > application data, knowing it can get it out there somewhere should it
 > need it again.

This approach to software is well discussed in the CORBA services
specification.

The trading service provides a mechanism for discovering how an
object can be implemented at a location. This involves finding
appropriate software and setting it in motion linked to the objects
persistent data. As a part of this process the object data and the
software may need to be transferred between locations. The
relationship and life cycle services provide the structure needed to
work out what has to be transferred. Properly implemented these
processes should be as transparent to the PROGRAMMER as memory
swapping is under UNIX. The end user is equally unaware of how
operations are actually implemented.

Using CORBA to implement the document model in GNOME should mean
that you can transfer a document to another user without worrying
about whether they have the software to manipulate it. CORBA will
organise their local environment to accomodate the document
automatically. AFAIK the CORBA services spec does not describe
mechanisms for freeing resources when services are no longer
required. However, the services that it does describe could maintain
reference counts and access times to support garbage collection.

I seriously doubt that MS is coming up with anything half as
sophisticated as the CORBA model. If GNOME fully implements the
CORBA services document model then Gates will be dead in the water.

Felix