ncurses is acting up

I recently reinstalled Redhat 5.0 on my system to take care of some
problems that I had made while not realizing what I was doing.  I am
re-installing my gnome rpms, but I am running into the same problem that
caused me to screw things up before.  I have ncurses-1.9.9e-7 installed.
I need 4.x to be on there, so I try to upgrade, but get this:

ncurses                     ################unpacking of archive failed on
file
/usr/lib/terminfo: -2147483639: Operation not permitted
error: ncurses-4.1-12.i386.rpm cannot be installed

Last time I worked around this error and caused all kinds of hell w/
programs looking for libncurses.so.3.  Can anyone help me out here?  The
error message seems pretty cryptic to me.

Thanks,
David Smock