Re: Porting KISDN to GTK...

Hi Peter,

Peter Petrakis <Peter_Petrakis@csi.com> writes:

> Hello All,
> 	Is there something compariable to KISDN being done for the gnome
> project? It's a really  cool tool if you have ISDN which I do. Maybe
> someone (maybe even me?!) could port this to use GTK instead of QT. The
> homepage for KISDN is at http://kisdn.headlight.de . BTW were can I find
> some doc even some books on programing for X windows and GTK? Thanks.

A while ago I thought about that, too. But again I was to lame to do
the actual work.

before you start, there are a few things to consider:

- kISDN insīt free anymore
- talk to the developers of kISDN and inform them about your idea.
- I donīt use kISDN, although I also have ISDN, so I canīt tell about
the features of kISDN. What I would like to see is a better division
of hardware configuration, network setup, dialup funtionality, network
monitoring, ... In my opinion kISDN does to much things in one
application. It is a very good graphical interface, and it is very
easy to conect with it, but in the long run it will be better if we
can handle modems and ISDN cards in the same way.

Some good designed baboon/CORBA objects, some well defined IDL interfaces
and finally a big glue-all-together application (GNOME).

Dirk