Newbie typical (+) problems getting gnome-session to run

The output from trying to run gnome-session is this,

SESSION_MANAGER=local/knutsson-pc.localdomain:/tmp/.ICE-unix/467,tcp/knutsso
n-pc.localdomain:1560
gmc: error in loading shared libraries
libgtk-1.1.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/bash: icewm: command not found
Gdk-Message:
** ERROR **: sigsegv caught
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 470, errno = 2
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 472, errno = 2

and these are some of the relevant packages that I have on my system,

glibc-debug-2.0.7-19
glibc-profile-2.0.7-19
glibc-devel-2.0.7-19
gmp-2.0.2-4
glib-1.1.3-1
gmc-4.1.35-3
glibc-2.0.7-19
gmp-devel-2.0.2-4
glib-devel-1.1.3-1
glib10-1.0.6-1
gnome-admin-0.30-1
gnome-core-0.30-1
gnome-core-devel-0.30-1
gnome-games-0.30-3
gnome-games-devel-0.30-3
gnome-libs-0.30.1-1
gnome-libs-devel-0.30.1-1
gnome-media-0.30-1
gnome-utils-0.30-1
gtk+-1.1.2-1
gtk+-devel-1.1.2-1
gtk+10-1.0.6-1
gtop-0.28-1

It seems to be a problem with gmc and gtk, and that gmc (which was the
latest version I could find in rpm format) requires a version of gtk that I
don't have.

Any ideas ?

/Lukas Knutsson