Re: Problem compiling libgtop

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Simon Kinahan wrote:

> Tom Dyas wrote:
> >
> > Upgrade to libtool 1.2.
> >
> > Tom
>
> Is this a bug, or is this a new feature that the Makefile relies on ?
> Whatever, it should be documented in the FAQ or the build instructions
> for Redhat Linux users (unless it already is of course) as RH5.1 comes
> with libtool 1.0

It's a new feature that was added somwhere between libtool 1.0 and
libtool 1.2.

The Makefile relies upon the this feature - and if you look at the
autogen.sh of for instance glib:

(libtool --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 || {
        echo
        echo "You must have libtool installed to compile $PROJECT."
        echo "Get ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool-1.2b.tar.gz"
        echo "(or a newer version if it is available)"
        DIE=1
}

or the standard autogen.sh from the macros directory:

(libtool --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 || {
    echo
    echo "**Error**: You must have "\`libtool\'" installed to compile
Gnome."
    echo "Get ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libtool-1.2.tar.gz"
    echo "(or a newer version if it is available)"
    DIE=1
}

I don't know whether this is documented in the FAQ or in the build
instructions, but since most autogen.sh's tell you to use libtool 1.2
it should be clear ...

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier
   martin@home-of-linux.org, http://www.home-of-linux.org/