CVS question

I have grabbed all the stuff I want to compile from the CVS, but before I break anything, I thought I better ask.  I have RH5.1 installed and gnome 0.30 rpms installed and working.  Do I need to uninstall these rpms to be safe?  I am not concerned with maintaining an old copy in case CVS wont install.  I just dont want to screw up something.  Was thinking of doing a simple script to uninstall all gnome-*.rpm's as well as the apps that I will compile from CVS.

TIA (and I hope this wasnt a FAQ, didnt see much regarding the move from rpm to CVS)

Kirby