Re: More gnome-libs problems

Steve Gage wrote:

> Dear group,
>
> I'm trying to get gnome compiled, and all was well through ORBit...
> can't get anywhere with gnome-libs. Here's what happens (I'm just going
> with default locations for everything):

I just hit this one today. It is covered in the FAQ, but I didn't
realise the significance of the section untill I hit the problem.

The problem is that the Gnome utilties are installed in /usr/local, so
the autoconf m4 files they generate go in /usr/local/share/aclocal,
which is not where aclocal looks for them (aclocal is run as part of
autogen.sh to generate a file called aclocal.m4).

So there are 2 solution

1. Tell aclocal where the files are. You can do this by setting
ACLOCAL_FLAGS to '-I /usr/local/share/aclocal', which for bash goes like
this:

export ACLOCAL_FLAGS='-I /usr/local/gnome/share/aclocal/'

2. Move the files to where aclocal can find them. Thats means
/usr/share/aclocal on most systems.

I much prefer 1, since 2 involves messing with stuff in /usr which I
prefer to avoid, and the copies might get out of date.

To the list in general: would there be a problem modifying the
autogen.sh scripts so they they pass the -I PREFIX/share/aclocal to
aclocal by themselves ? It is almost always necessary, as far as I can
tell.

Simon