Re: backtracing

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Paul G Cooper wrote:

> I'd like to know how to do this - please could you point me you point me
> to some docs? I promise not to be rude ;-)

% /opt/gnome/bin/something
something error
% ls core
ls: core: no such file
% ulimit -c 2048
% /opt/gnome/bin/something
something error - core dumped
% gdb /opt/gnome/bin/something
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16.patched (i586-debian-linux),
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) core core
Core was generated by `/opt/gnome/bin/something
#0st 0x8048569 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffd30) at cache2.c:20
17      // A program to illustrate the speed of cache access.
18
19      int main(int argc, char *argv[])
20      {
20      {
(gdb) bactrace
#0  0x8048569 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffd30) at cache2.c:20
#1  0x8048570 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffd30) at cache2.c:20
(...)

This is a little contrived, but the steps are basically the same.  I will
be adding a section on how to do backtraces to the FAQ later today in the
"How to Report a Bug" section.

--
Todd Graham Lewis            32°49'N,83°36'W          (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net